Arja Koriseva in a nutshell
History and trivia
Arja Koriseva is a famous singer in Finland.
Arja is known as a singer of Finnish tango and other music used
in Finnish dance pavilions. However, the scale of music styles
that Arja masters is naturally larger.
Arja is a pop music signer who has continuously trained her
voice with a singing teacher. It is good practice and help her
to sing tens of nights in a month. However, it is possible that
Arja has lost some part of her original warm singing style.
See the "Audio clips" section on the ArjaWorld
for samples of Arja's music. Unfortunately there are not so many clips
in the Internet. Due to the copyright fees ArjaWorld itself does not
any downloadable songs.
Mrs. Arja Sinikka Koriseva-Karmala,
known as "Arja Koriseva"
Known or well-guessed facts
- Was born in the 21st of April, 1965 at 14.40 (the time according
to 7 päivää magazine, 1992) into a family in Toivakka in the middle of
- Started doing gigs with her sister Eija and "Peräkylän pojat"
band in May 1978.
- Has studied singing in Keski-Suomen Konservatorio conservatory
since September 1983.
- Matriculated at Vaajakoski high school in 1984.
1989 (after 0 years of success)
- Miss Arja Sinikka Koriseva took a degree of master of pedagogics
at the department of teacher training of the University of Tampere in
Hämeenlinna in 1989. But she has never worked as a teacher after her
graduation because she...
- ...won the "Ostrobothnian" competition for the
honorary title of
Tango Queen in live TV broadcast in Finland in July 1989. The presenter
of the competition (Heikki Hietamies) asked about her
surname ['koriseva' in English: rattling/(medical) stertorous
(breathing)]. This has been the beginning of the her great success.
- Began aggressive touring around Finland with her new band
Fortuna. Fortuna consisted of Jari Palonen (keys), Veijo Laine
(keys), Jouni Hokkanen (b), Timo Kurittu (drums), and Ismo Irva
- Celebrated the 73-year independence of Finland (December 6th,
in annual ball arranged by the President
of Finland, Mauno Koivisto.
- Tried to be the representative of Finland in the Eurovision Song
Contest in 1991 with "Enkelin silmin"
(recorded by Arja in 1991) &
"Molto Presto", 1992 with "Huomiseen"
(recorded by Arja in 1993 and in
English as "Hold me now" by Miisa; note it is not the same as Johnny
Logan's "Hold me now") and 1993 with "Vain taivas yksin
tietää" (recorded by Arja in 1993) & "Sulta laulun sain".
- Was the speaker of the "Tee-se-itse-TV" amateur video TV show
with Lasse Norres in 1990 - 1992.
- Represented Finland in the ABU Golden Kite song contest in Kuala
Lumpur, Malaysia in 1990 with "Kun tunteet kuljettaa" (recorded by Arja
- Performed "Huomiseen" in the World music awards gala in the
Monaco Sporting Club in May 1992.
- Visited the Romanian Cerbur de Aur song contest in Brasov with
"Hold me now" in June 1992.
- Got engaged to Juha-Pekka Karmala, a special school
teacher in June 1993.
- Has lived in "her own hideaway" (~ fortress?) beside
Lake Leppävesi in Toivakka since 1993.
1994 (after 5 years of huge success)
- Concertized in Toronto and Sudbury (Canada) in March 1994.
- Visited Peter Nygård's paradise in Bahama Islands (with her
fiance) in 1994.
- Got the founder of Fortuna band Jari Palonen (keys) to
sell her gigs. The business expanded rapidly and in summer 1996 he left
the band to expand Fortone to one
of the most well-known companies in the branch.
- The official Fan Club started to work actively, hosted by Saila
- Had her own TV show "Näytönpaikka" in 1995 and 1996.
- Among other concerts starred in "Tuhkimo - eli KENkä hukassa"
'musical' (a modern Cinderella story) with "Teatteri Eurooppa Neljä"
theater team in winter 1995.
- Gave birth to Paul Patrik Oskar Karmala in August 6th,
- Got married in July 20th, 1996 and become Mrs.
- Had a tango concert tour "Tango Illusion" in the fall 1996 with
Jyväskylä Sinfonia (Jyväskylä Symphony Orchestra).
- Starred 1997 - 1998 in musical "Singin' in the rain" in the Lahti City Theatre (one
of the biggest theaters in Finland) as Kathy Selden.
- Had a Christmas song church concert tour with Jyväskylä Sinfonia
in December 1998.
1999 (after 10 years of success)
- Concertized with the Fortuna band for her 10-year jubilee in
March - April 1999.
- Celebrated her 10-year success with a huge concert in Hartwall Areena in November
- Lost her most visible player in the band Jouni Hokkanen (b)
- Led the "Suuri Luokkakokous" (Den Storre Klassfest) TV show in
- Starred in the musical "My fair lady" in the Samppalinna summer
in summer 2000 in the city of Turku.
- Recorded "All my life" duet with Helmut Lotti in Belgium, the
14th of August 2001.
- Lost Fortuna's last original member Timo Kurittu (drums)
28.9.2001 after more than 12 years of playing.
- Adopted daughter Karla Sol Angel Karmala (born July 20th,
2001) in October 2001 from Colombia.
- Designed a weekly music TV show "Jos sais kerran" and
hosted it with Mr. Joel
Hallikainen from September 2002 to May 2003.
- Was invited again to the Independence Day ball (December 6th,
by the President of Finland, Tarja
- Left Fortone Productions and hired Milla Kähkönen (as
assistant; got married in September 2004, nowadays Mrs. Milla
& Anna Ahonen (as part-time fan club hostess).
2004 (after 15 years of success)
- "Fired" her band members in February 2004 and started buying band
for her gigs on seasonal basis. In summer 2004, the band was called
"Jukka Ruusumaa and Fortuna", named after band's vocalist.
- Starred in musical "The Sound of music" in the Seinäjoki City
from August 2005 to October 2006.
- Gave birth to Verna Luna Gunilla Karmala in November 8th,
- Continued her actress career with "Sound of music" in the Imatra Theatre from January to March 2008.
- Starred as Christine Colgate in "Herrasmieshuijarit" (Dirty Rotten Scoundrels) in the TTT-Theatre in Tampere; premiere was on September 4th, 2008. This is Arja's first musical that is not an old well-known classic.
2009 (after 20 years of success)
Näet ArjaWordin hienompana, jos hankit uudemman Internet-selaimen!
- Starred as 'Sugar' Kane Kowalczyk in "Piukat paikat" (Some Like It Hot) musical in the Heinola Summer Theatre; premiere was on June 11th, 2009.
- Announced to be Ava Gardner in musical "Ava & Frank"; Frank Sinatra will be played by Miro Honkanen. Premiere will be on September 2nd, 2010 in Musiikkiteatteri Palatsi.